Ahhh, summer. And some fun stuff.
It is so weird so much has happened and yet, nothing really has. You know what I mean? Do you feel that way too? I mean, I am so grateful for the beautiful space I call home and where I get to run my business. Having the expanse, nature and solitude was a wonderful, and yet very privileged, way to ride the COVID-19 wave.
But I didn’t build the space for just Gene and I and our three dogs. I built it for people to come and get the benefits of nature and a little distance from their everyday. With vaccinations and the decrease in cases in Oregon, I’m delighted to say folks are coming back out to The Ranch. I hosted two groups in June plus a fun chosen family Fourth of July camp out. (Check out my IG feed for some posts about the incredible open fire cooking we did.)
I can’t believe it was March when I last reached out to my peeps. Far too long. To make up for lost time, I’ve gathered a few fun tidbits and resources that I’d like to share.
1. Tournant - If you know, you know. If you don’t know you do now. Mona, Jaret, and the team at Tournant create incredible outdoor, live fire cooking experiences. My pal Kaitlyn and I went to one of their workshops at Star Mooring Farms in June. They are so inspiring. I truly believe they would be a great option for your next Team Celebration, check them out.
2. The Nature Fix: Why Nature Makes Us Happier, Healthier, and More Creative - I’ve just started this book and my highlighter is almost out of ink. So much information about how important our connection to nature is to our lives. Florence Williams makes this non-fiction book so easily digestible.
3. www.certainagemag.com - This digital magazine created by my friend Jean Fleming, is wonderful. This is how she describes it: “What you will find is wisdom, perspective, truth-telling, humor, opinion – lots of that – all with the discernment that comes from having lived.”
4. Dare to Lead Podcast - Brené with Priya Parker on How We Return and Why It Matters - This episode is a must listen if you or anyone you know are trying to figure out how we go back to workspaces together. I used a lot of what I learned in this podcast when I facilitated an offsite for Commissioner Dan Ryan’s team. So much gold in here.
5. Recipe I’m loving - Peach Caprese Salad. This is one of my go to recipes for guests at The Ranch. Perfect for those fresh garden tomatoes and local peaches.
6. You Should be Dancing by the Foo Fighters - My pal Rick Charlie posted a link to this video on Facebook. It was one of my mom’s favorite songs. I absolutely love this cover! –image credit: Billboard.com
Lastly, while in nature, hanging in my hammock reading The Nature Fix, I was inspired to write a poem. I think I’ve maybe written one other poem in my life. A testament to the book's sub-head.
What have you been up to so far this summer? Shoot me an email or comment below.